Father’s Day is this Sunday. Are you ready? If not, fear not. We’ve compiled some ideas for how to celebrate the dad or father-figure in your life.
Make a donation in dad’s name
With social distancing in place, some of you may be unable to celebrate with your father or father-figure this year. If you’re wondering what to get for the dad who already has everything he needs, consider making a donation to a charity in his name. This gift will represent his generosity and helpfulness, and help pay it forward! Some of our favorite organizations to support are Back On My Feet, Veterans In Need, Breast Cancer Prevention Partners and the Ethembeni School, which we support through our Lesedi Project.
For more options, you can use Charity Navigator’s Advanced Search Tool to find an organization working on an issue he cares deeply about. WorldVision has also compiled some suggestions for charitable gifts that pay it forward:
● For dads who understand the importance of lasting change:
- Meet critical needs today and tomorrow — help people rebuild in the wake of disasters and empower entire communities to lift themselves out of poverty. You’ll equip kids and families to thrive with reliable access to basics like clean water, nutrition, healthcare, education, and more. Give to the World Vision Fund.
● For dads who love the outdoors:
- Teach a man to fish. Literally. For $75, you’ll help a dad feed and provide for his family for years to come. Give a fishing kit
- Help a struggling family with what they need to grow their own nutritious food — tools, drought-resistant seeds, and training in improved farming methods. Give tools, seeds, and training
● For the disaster preparedness fanatic:
- Donate a Relief Bed in your dad’s honor for $85 and provide a portable, durable, self-inflating mattress and pillow for someone who has survived a disaster. Give a Relief Bed
- Give a sustainable, solar-powered lantern (starting at $20) and help provide four hours of light after the sun goes down. Give a solar-powered lantern
● For dads who value health:
- Imagine not having access to basic medicines and supplies. Equip a healthcare worker to care for people in need. Equip a healthcare worker
- Ship and deliver a custom-fit wheelchair for a child with disabilities for only $50. Give a wheelchair
Plan a meaningful activity together
Balega Impi Charlotte Powers runs with her dad (who is also a huge Balega fan)! On June 6, she and her dad ran carrying American flags to commemorate the 76th anniversary of D-Day. Her two great uncles served in the invasion. We’re inspired by Charlotte and her dad to make our run on Father’s Day extra special. If your dad is also a runner, pick something that is important to both of you, and dedicate your miles to that cause!
Balega Impi Justin Gillette and his family came up with a unique, lasting and useful Father’s Day gift for his father in-law. The family planted six apple trees on their 300-acre dairy farm that has been in the family for seven generations. Planting a tree, a flower, or a plant of any kind is a great gift idea that gets the whole family involved, and brings lasting joy!
From all of us at Balega, we want to wish all of the dads out there a very happy Father’s Day!